In Memory

Gail Sylvester

Gail Sylvester

Gail Norman Sylvester, 24, a Medina County resident all his life, was electrocuted by a Cleveland Illuminating power line, carrying 4600 volts of power. on July 2, 1965 in Cleveland.

Gail and his father were working together repairing a chimney at the Metropolitan Housing Power Plant on Whiskey Island in Cleveland.  The two were on the ground taking a rigging off a stack and when lowering it, a plank got stuck in the power line.  Gail went up a ladder 25 feet to get the plank loose and in the process his knee touched a lighting rod cable and he was electrocuted.

Gail was living at home.  He worked for K and S Construction for five years.  He started working there in 1958 until August of 1960 when he volunteered for the United States Army - serving with the 101st Airborne Division.  After being discharged in August of 1963 he went back to work with the company.

In addition to his parents, Thomas and Ruth Sylvester he left three brothers; Lee at home, Fred of Bellflower, California and Neil who was in the Navy.

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

01/19/10 04:54 PM #1    

Faye Grindle (Curtis)

Gail, you were a very brave man who did heights well and also was an service man, but we still miss you as you guys were always busy with getting into trouble with the school administrators. I know your two brother and see them often and now know a little nephew. We miss seeing you and your fun personality. Faye

02/22/10 11:52 AM #2    

Gary L Bolte

Tiny you were a great character and always providing some laughs. You left us much too soon. You are not forgotten.

go to top 
  Post Comment